The rugby league star aims to run 300 miles (482km) in a week to raise funds for motor neurone disease research.
Some patients have lost the full use of their arm after surgery at Walsall Manor Hospital.
Unite general secretary Sharon Graham warned that NHS union members are prepared to strike.
Despite public support for the NHS, satisfaction levels have fallen, raising thoughts of reform.
The largest rise was in secondary school children as the new term started, according to the ONS.
One man injected with the modified cold sore virus saw his tumour completely disappear.
The money is part of a package of measures to support NHS and care system this winter, ministers say.
- Magnus Carlsen and Hans Niemann: Chess champion accuses opponent of cheating
- Haiti in a humanitarian catastrophe - UN envoy
- Parkland shooting trial: Can warning signs stop a mass shooting?
- Ukraine war: The referendums shunned by Kyiv and the West
- Lakhimpur: Unanswered questions in India sisters' hanging